Monday, August 11, 2008

Bragging

Ada was 18 months on the first of August. This necessitated a trip to her paediatrician on Saturday for a round of vaccinations.

The first thing he said when he saw her was "Look how happy!"

He's noted before, but reiterated then that she is one of the most confident babies he has (supposedly) ever seen.

She then proceeded to wow him with her vocabulary.

I had been trying to make a list of all the words she knows and uses on a regular basis while sitting in the waiting room but I ran out of room on my little slip of paper when I got to 130+. (Later counts put it at 200+).

He told me that most two year old children don't even come close to her verbal skills and that I'll probably be getting a lot of dirty looks from other parents in the waiting room from now on.

She can count to 10 (though more often than not she leaves out 8).

She's been doing the question/answer manipulation for a good two months, example -

Ada: Freezy pop?
Me: You want a freezy pop?
Ada: OK!

- as if it were my idea all along.

She uses 2 and 3 word phrases (and has been for quite some time), here's a sampling:

  • Shoes on! (when she wants to go outside)
  • Don't cry baby.
  • Mama/Daddy sing.
  • Right there (indicating that she wants you to put something somewhere for her, or possible put HER somewhere - like inside the refrigerator)
  • Hush, Dodger (the dog) or Hush, Baby.
  • Sing Twinkle Twinkle.
  • More _____ (fill in the blank)
  • Watch animals
  • Read book, read it
  • Thank you, Mama/Daddy.
  • Good morning, Mama/Daddy.
  • Push a button.
  • Move it!
  • Bubbles everywhere!
  • Clean up, clean hands.
  • Good girl!
  • Mess I made.
Also, just for posterity because I haven't written it down anywhere else -
on July 7, 2008, Ada was playing by herself when suddenly she stopped what she was doing and started staring into space. I watched her for a moment, wondering what was going on in that head of hers. She turned, looked me dead in the eye and said "Wuv you, Mama" then toddled over and hugged my legs.

First unprompted declaration of love! I nearly died.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really lovely (& I think your bragging is totally justified.) I'm not sure how, but I just stumbled upon your blog, and thinks it's really delightful - beautifully observed and written! I have almost-5-month old twin girls, so I can totally relate to all the unbearable sweetness going on! Thanks for sharing -